Hiawatha Highlands is a premier destination for winter recreation and sports.
We offer over 50 km of trails (2 km are lit until 10:00 PM). Enjoy the soothing sounds of the whispering pines and the magnificent views in our winter wonderland. Trail systems cater from the beginner to the advanced and welcomes both classic and skate skiing. We also have snowshoeing and fat biking as well as events and activities for all abilities and age groups.
Free parking and the warmth of the Kinsmen Centre is available for all trail pass holders to use seven days per week during peak season. Come in and enjoy a hot beverage or a quick snack.
Come north for some of the continent’s finest winter recreation and enjoy many of our fine accommodations, shopping and restaurants in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada.
Hiawatha Highlands is a division of Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club Non-profit Inc.
Hiawatha Highlands operates in a manner that protects its trail pass holders and employees while respecting our environment. We believe that health and safety is our paramount objective and is a responsibility shared by everyone involved.
Hiawatha Highlands would like to acknowledge all of the land owners involved in the trails.
- The Kinsmen Club of Sault Ste. Marie
- Sault Ste. Marie Regional Conservation Authority
- Steinberg family
- Farmer Bob at Mocking Bird Hill Farms
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Bible Fellowship Church
Thank you for your support in providing over 50 km of trails for trail pass holders to enjoy Winter recreation.
Business Strategy 2018-2021
Overarching Guiding Principles
Attitude of excellence
Always maintain trails to high standards
Ensure long-term viability through fiscal responsibility
- Address governance and oversight to manage the business for long-term success
- Anticipate and advance positioning as a unique outdoor winter fitness hub
- Foster relationships and synergies to add value to the customer experience
- Deliver exceptional ski trails
- Deliver exceptional customer service in all that we do
- Develop and execute marketing campaigns to increase awareness within the full market area
When you work at Hiawatha Highlands, you're joining a great team environment, dedicated to providing the best experience for our customers.
We are looking to fill the following positions to our team for the 2019/2020 Winter season. All of our positions are seasonal. Must have own transportation as there is no public transit available to our location.
Cross Country Ski Trail Groomer Operator
Hiawatha Highlands is looking to hire and train a part-time Cross Country Ski Trail Groomer Operator. The successful candidate will be responsible for day-to-day grooming and snow management of Hiawatha Highlands' cross country ski trail network. The safe and careful operation of a modern fleet of Snow Cat, Can Am Side by Side, as well as snowmobile grooming equipment is required. This is a seasonal role and requires the flexibility to work weekends and nights.
The candidate would be reporting to the Manager of Hiawatha Highlands, as well as working with other Groomer Operators.
The desired candidate will possess:
• Prior experience operating heavy equipment
• Ability to carry out routine maintenance on both the Snow Cat and snow machines
• Ability to maintain accounts for equipment and gas
• Ability to monitor and document fuel consumption and to order fuel
• Skier experience a plus but not required
• Ability to take photos and update website/social media of trail conditions
• Ability to multi-task and follow direction
• Attention to work in a safe and responsible manner
• Valid Driver’s License
We wish to thank all applicants for the interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants are invited to send their resume to email@example.com or drop off in person, at Hiawatha Highlands Office, 780 Landslide Road, Sault Ste. Marie, ON. Closing date is January 31st, 2020.
Volunteering with Hiawatha Highlands is a rewarding experience!
We're always looking for volunteers to help with the following:
Snow School - volunteer instructors/helpers with elementary school age children who come with their classes to ski or snowshoe.
Events - We hold several events throughout the season. Help with set-up, running and tear-down are needed and appreciated.
Trail pass checking - We run random checks for valid trail passes throughout the season to ensure everyone is complying with the rules. If you're interested in helping with this important aspect of our operation, please let us know.
For more information or to volunteer your time, please contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org