Hiawatha Highlands is a premier destination for winter recreation and sports.
We offer over 50 km of trails (2 km are lit until 10:00 PM). Enjoy the soothing sounds of the whispering pines and the magnificent views in our winter wonderland. Trail systems cater from the beginner to the advanced and welcomes both classic and skate skiing. We also have snowshoeing and fat biking as well as events and activities for all abilities and age groups.
Free parking and the warmth of the Kinsmen Centre is available for all trail pass holders to use seven days per week during peak season. Come in and enjoy a hot beverage or a quick snack.
Come north for some of the continent’s finest winter recreation and enjoy many of our fine accommodations, shopping and restaurants in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada.
Hiawatha Highlands is a division of Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club Non-profit Inc.
Hiawatha Highlands operates in a manner that protects its trail pass holders and employees while respecting our environment. We believe that health and safety is our paramount objective and is a responsibility shared by everyone involved.
Hiawatha Highlands would like to acknowledge all of the land owners involved in the trails.
- The Kinsmen Club of Sault Ste. Marie
- Sault Ste. Marie Regional Conservation Authority
- Steinberg family
- Farmer Bob at Mocking Bird Hill Farms
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Bible Fellowship Church
Thank you for your support in providing over 50 km of trails for trail pass holders to enjoy Winter recreation.
Business Strategy 2018-2021
Overarching Guiding Principles
Attitude of excellence
Always maintain trails to high standards
Ensure long-term viability through fiscal responsibility
- Address governance and oversight to manage the business for long-term success
- Anticipate and advance positioning as a unique outdoor winter fitness hub
- Foster relationships and synergies to add value to the customer experience
- Deliver exceptional ski trails
- Deliver exceptional customer service in all that we do
- Develop and execute marketing campaigns to increase awareness within the full market area
Our general policy at Hiawatha Highlands is we operate as a not-for-profit business whereby any small profit at the end of the year is put back into the development of trails and equipment to maintain all trails for all trail pass holders. Refunds will be determined individually by the terms involved.
When you work at Hiawatha Highlands, you're joining a great team environment, dedicated to providing the best experience for our customers.
We are looking to fill the following positions to our team for the 2023/2024 Winter season. All of our positions are seasonal. Must have own transportation as there is no public transit available to our location.
Job Title: Events & Communications Manager
Hiawatha Highlands is seeking a “Events & Communications Manager'' to pursue the objective of increasing the number, size, and quality of events offered during the winter ski, snowshoe, and fat bike season. This strategic staff position will encourage growth in recreational and competitive sporting events, related sport tourism, economic growth and active living. The successful candidate will promote participation in events through high-energy communication and engaging promotional material. The ability to work independently, coordinate others, and work as part of a team are inherent in this role.
Length of Contract: September 2023 to April 2024 (with possibility for year-round).
- 30-35 hours per week, contract September 15 to April 15.
- Actual hours per week may require flexibility.
- Attendance is required at approximately two evening meetings per month as assigned.
- Time required to plan and coordinate events is variable and dependent on each event.
- Undergraduate degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Marketing, Event or Project Management, or a related field in a post-secondary setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
- Smart Serve Ontario certification is required.
- Knowledge of required event permits, and Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is considered an asset.
- Experience event planning and coordinating, communication skills to secure sponsorships and advertise events.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, ability to lead a team and work in a team environment.
- Knowledge & experience with social media platforms.
- Plan and coordinate outdoor winter sport events around cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and fat-biking.
- Ensure required permits and documentation required for the event are in place.
- Ensure compliance with Hiawatha Highlands safety protocols in place for events.
- Communicate with business to obtain sponsorship for events.
- Recruit and organize sufficient volunteers to help at events.
- Act as main point of contact for the execution of events including coordinating staff, volunteers, and service providers.
- Recruit, organize, and ensure supervision of volunteers to assist with implementation of events.
- Develop budgets and report to Operations Manager to ensure fiscal responsibility during events.
- Ensure inventory of supplies related to events.
- Create and maintain event calendars.
- Promotion: Create content for website pages and communications related to events
- Create content for required print promotion materials.
- Oversee purchasing of promotional materials for the event.
- Promote participation through high-energy communication both before and during events.
- Oversee social media accounts’ design (eg. Timelines, cover, profile pictures, layout)
- Promotion: Market and advertise events for our social media outlets.
- Communicate with followers, respond to queries in a timely manner and monitor customer reviews.
- Monitor web traffic metrics and report at monthly Operation Meetings.
- Design and implement a social media strategy to align with goals of the business.
- Stay up to date with current technologies and trends in social media, design tools and applications.
- Experience working with publication software (e.g.) Canva is considered an asset.
- Experience working with event management software is considered an asset.
- Experience with cash handling.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent customer and interpersonal services skills.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with the ability to lead a team and work in a team environment.
- Ability to balance competing priorities, solve problems and work under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge and experience with social media platforms.
- The ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, styles, and abilities.
- Understanding of, and ability to uphold, confidentiality.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (combined PDF) to email@example.com
Volunteering with Hiawatha Highlands is a rewarding experience!
We're always looking for volunteers to help with the following:
Snow School - volunteer instructors/helpers with elementary school age children who come with their classes to ski or snowshoe.
Events - We hold several events throughout the season. Help with set-up, running and tear-down are needed and appreciated.
Trail pass checking - We run random checks for valid trail passes throughout the season to ensure everyone is complying with the rules. If you're interested in helping with this important aspect of our operation, please let us know.
For more information or to volunteer your time, please contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org